Hirapur (Haryana), Jan 29 (ANI): The Haryana administration on Saturday evacuated people from two villages after they detected a chlorine gas leak at a nearby factory.
Residents of Hirapur village said the gas leak began on Friday, but the local administration only reacted after the gas spread to the neighbouring village of Naryala, and when people complained of breathing problems.
"We have controlled 70 percent of the gas and the rest we will have to control," said District Commissioner Praveen Kumar.
Meanwhile, Hirapur Village Council Head Ram Kumar Sharma said the villagers were not aware of the factory or its functions, as its gates were always locked.
"We never enquired about it, but what we are facing today is so severe that both villages are suffering," he said.
Villagers said no one has been taken to hospitals for medical treatment, despite repeated requests.
District Commissioner Praveen Kumar assured that the factory owner would be punished for negligence. (ANI)