Man suspected to be killed by man-eater tigress

Dehra Dun, Jan 27 (PTI) The half-eaten body of amiddle-aged man was recovered in Ramnagar forest division areaof Corbett National Park today, raising suspicion of a fifthkilling by a man-eater tigress, officials said.

The tigress, which had let loose a rein of terror inSunderkhal area of the Park has killed four women in nearlytwo months.

The animal was shot by the Uttarakhand forest departmenthunters on January 11 but it had fled into the jungles in aninjured condition.

Jim Corbett National Park Deputy Director C K Kavidayaldenied that the man was killed by the tigress and said theanimal is suspected to have died of bullet wounds after shewas shot by the hunters earlier this month.

"After receiving the bullet injuries, we assume that thetigress might have died by now," said Singh.

Senior forest officials, including Chief Wildlife WardenS K Chandola rushed to the spot after locals protesteddemanding that man-eater tigers should be killed.

On the other hand, wildlife experts said the Corbettauthorities must take measures to stop the interference of thevillagers in the reserved forest areas which is the naturalhabitat of the big cats.

"The villagers must be stopped from entering into CorbettNational Park and other reserved areas where tigers roam. Wehave to take some hard decisions now," said Bijendra Singh, amember of the wildlife board and former warden of the Park.

Singh also demanded rehabilitation of the villagersliving around Sunderkhal area and asked the government to holdtalks with the Centre in this regard.

Please Wait while comments are loading...