Kuala Lumpur, Jan 26 (ANI): The family of a Malay Sikh National Service (NS) trainee, who had claimed that his hair was cut off in the camp while he was asleep, has said that they would allow the boy to return for training provided the authorities give a written assurance of his safety.
The Star quoted Basant Singh's father Surinderpal Singh as saying that his family was still aiting to meet the commandant.
"I want a black-and-white assurance before allowing him to return to the camp. We have yet to receive news of when the commandant will meet us," he said.
On being asked about his action if the department fails to give him the boy's safety assurances, Singh said: "We will wait and see."
He also dismissed suggestions that his son may have cut the hair himself, saying: "That is nonsense."
Last week, Singh had alleged that his son's hair was cut by 50 centimetre as he was sleeping in the camp in Penang. He was subsequently given leave by the camp commandant until January 23, but the trainee showed least interest in joining back the camp after the incident.
The NS Department Director General Abdul Hadi Awang Kechil earlier said that Basant would not be exempted from training, but he would be allowed either to go back to the Sungai Bakap camp or switch to another camp. (ANI)