Ahmedabad, Jan 21 (PTI) Two persons including the husbandof the 30-year-old woman who died of Crimean-CongoHaemorrhagic Fever (CCHF) recently at a private hospital here,have tested positive for the fatal virus causing the disease,Gujarat health officials said today.
"Rehman, husband of the woman who died due to CCHF hastested positive for the virus causing the disease. Also,one male staff nurse of the private hospital in the city whereAmina was undergoing treatment, has tested positive,"Additional Director (Health), Dr Paresh Dave told PTI.
Dave said their test reports were received today and thecondition of the infected duo was stable. They are undergoingtreatment under isolation at government hospitals, he said.
Yesterday, 58 samples (from humans), collected from Kolatvillage, had tested negative for CCHF, he said.
"We have sent 132 more samples to the National Instituteof Virology (NIV). Their results are awaited," Dave added.
Amina Momin of Kolat village in Sanand taluka, about 35kms from here, was the first CCHF casualty. The doctor andnurse of a private hospital who treated her also contractedthe virus and died after a week when the disease surfaced inIndia.
Meanwhile, the six member team from the National Centrefor Disease Control (NCDC), which had arrived in the cityyesterday, has began consultations with state officials toplan the next course of action and steps needed to be takento prevent the spread of CCHF. (More) PTI PB PD DKDK
According to health officials, a state team of doctors and veterinarians are still surveying the nearby villagesof Kolat from where the first case of CCHF was recorded.
Animal Husbandry department officials said that mostof the animals in Kolat and nearby areas have been treatedwith disinfectants to kill the ticks.
The CCHF infection is primarily found in animals which iscaused by tick-based virus. It may infect a wide range ofdomestic and wild animals.
Humans who become infected with CCHF acquire the virusfrom direct contact with blood or other infected tissues fromlivestock. They can get it from a tick bite also.