Kuala Lumpur, Jan 19 (ANI): Malaysian Defence Minister Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi has reportedly ordered officials to investigate the claims made by a Sikh national service trainee that his hair was cut while he was asleep at the Sungai Bakap camp in Penang.
The Star quoted National Service Training Department Director General, Abdul Hadi Awang Kechil, as saying that 17-year-old Basant Singh, the trainee, and his father Surinderpal Singh, lodged a report over the alleged incident with the camp commandant Mej Shamsudin Abdul Aziz last Sunday, and also lodged a police report.
He further said that the department would send a team to conduct a two-weeks investigation into the matter.
"But the trainee Basant could not produce any evidence to show that his hair had been cut. Checks at his sleeping place as well as the belongings of other trainees in his dormitory were futile as no hair or sharp objects were found," Abdul Hadi said.
Basant said that the incident has left his traumatised because it violated his religious rights.
"I was fast asleep on Sunday night. When I woke up the next day, I realised that my hair had been cut off as I was about to tie it," he said.
Basant's hair, which originally reached below his navel, was estimated to have been cut by 50 centimetres.
Basant has been given him leave till January 23, but he has least interest in joing back his duty. (ANI)