Kolkata, Jan 19 (ANI): The Calcutta High Court on Wednesday refused to order the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to probe the January 7 killings in Lalgarh's Netai village.
Hearing a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) seeking a CBI probe into the Lalgarh killings, the court directed the state CID to continue to probe the matter.
In an interim order, the court, however, said it would monitor the progress of the investigation by the CID.
A division bench comprising Chief Justice J N Patal and Justice A K Roy also directed the West Bengal Government to pay compensation to the kin of the dead and those injured in the incident within seven days.
The court directed the Joint Forces to find out if armed camps existed in the Jangalmahal area and to destroy them if they are found.
The court also directed the West Bengal Home Secretary to file a report on compliance of its order and progress of the CID investigation on February 4, when the next hearing of the case will take place.
The court has, however, asked the government to pay interim compensation of Rs two lakh each to the families of the deceased, Rs one lakh to those critically injured and Rs 50,000 each to the injured.
Earlier on Thursday, West Bengal Government opposing the CBI probe told the court that the CID should be allowed to carry on the inquiry.
The court had earlier asked the State Government to specify its stand on joint operation of central and state forces against Maoist camps in Lalgarh.
Six villagers, including a woman were killed and over 20 injured in firing by suspected armed CPI-M cadres in Lalgarh in West Bengal's West Midnapore District on January 7.
The villagers, who had gathered to protest against demands made by Marxist armed cadre that they volunteer for night patrols and arms training, were fired at from a house at Netai village in Belatikri gram panchayat in Lalgarh police station area. (ANI)