Melbourne, Jan 15 (PTI) International Cricket Council(ICC) chief executive Haroon Lorgat despite admitting thatfive World Cup venues are yet to be completed, today said thatthe sub-continent is ready to host the mega-event, startingfrom February 19.
"Five stadia are still to be completed but there are noalarm bells ringing and I''m sure they will be ready wellbefore the World Cup," Lorgat told in a press conference heretoday.
According to reports, as many as five grounds, includingMumbai''s Wankhede Stadium where the final is scheduled to beplayed apart from other league stage matches, are still underconstructions and organisers have been racing against time tofinish the work and get those ready for hosting the matches.
Lorgat, however, expressed confidence as far as securityarrangements are concerned, dismissing any suggestion of anykind of possible lapse in that front during the tournament tobe hosted jointly by India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
The ICC chief also claimed that the verdict on thespot-fixing allegations against three Pakistan players --Salman Butt, Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Aamir, expected onFebruary 5, would not have any adverse effect on the WorldCup.
"There''s some time between when the verdict is releasedon the fifth of February. We were keen to have it well beforethe start of the World Cup," he said.
An anti-corruption tribunal against three Pakistanplayers ended on Tuesday but no decision was given, insteadanother hearing has been scheduled for February 5.
The Pakistani trio, who face allegation of spot-fixingfor bowling deliberate no-balls in the Lord''s Test duringPakistan''s tour of England last year, were provisionallysuspended by the ICC in September 2010.