New Delhi, Jan 10 (ANI): The Supreme Court on Monday issued notice to the Centre and eleven licencee companies that have not fulfilled roll-out obligations on a petitions seeking cancellation of all the licenses of 2G spectrum issued by former Communications Minister A Raja.
A bench comprising justices G S Singhvi and A K Ganguly sought the response from the Department of Telecom and the companies within three weeks and posted the matter for hearing on February 1.
The petitioners, Janata Party President Subramaniam Swamy and Prashant Bhushan, an advocate, have prayed to the apex court that in view of the collosal loss of Rs 1.76 lakh crores caused to the national exchequer by A. Raja who allotted 2G spectrum licenses in gross violation of the government policy and rules, all the 122 licenses should be cancelled.
The court last week upheld Swamy's plea who also wanted the court to appoint him as one of the public prosecutors.
Swamy earlier criticised Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal after he rubbished the CAG report, which said the scam cost the state a loss of 1.76 lakh crore.
Sibal, however, said he respected the CAG, but was extremely pained at the methodology adopted by CAG for arriving at 2G spectrum (loss) figures that have no basis.
Sibal said he agreed with the CAG on two counts - one, that there was something wrong with the rollout of the telecom policy and two, that there was criminal culpability and which is why the CBI, under the Supreme Court, was investigating the matter.
The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India in a report held former Union Minister of Communications and Information Technology A. Raja responsible for causing losses estimated at a whopping rupees 1.76 trillion to the exchequer in 2G telecom spectrum allotments to favoured operators without any auction bids. (ANI)