Islamabad, Dec 31 (ANI): No foreign troops will be allowed to launch any ground offensive in Pakistan's tribal areas, Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) Director General Athar Abbas has said.
Talking to a TV channel, Abbas said foreign troops had neither been allowed to conduct ground operation in Pakistan, nor would they be allowed in future.
He also claimed that the arrival of terrorists from across the Pakistan-Afghanistan border was the main reason behind the deteriorating law and order situation in Bajaur and Mohmand Agencies, The Nation reports.Five Army Brigadiers were present in North Waziristan, said Abbas, adding that an operation against militants was going on in North Wazirastan, and 90 percent areas of the agency have been cleared.
Following the situation and resources, it would be decided whether there is a need to launch a grand operation in North Waziristan, he added.
Abbas further said that the Pakistan Army and the law enforcement agencies gained many achievements during 2010, but the fact that a terrorist could blow himself anytime anywhere could not be neglected.
Answering a question, he said almost 900 check posts had been set up on Pak-Afghan border, adding that all citizens should be vigilant and keep an eye on any illegal movements on the check posts. (ANI)