New Delhi, Dec 27 (ANI): Gujjars have called for a shutdown in Ajmer on Monday after talks with Rajasthan Government remained inconclusive.
The State Energy Minister Jitendra Singh held first round of discussion with the Gujjar community headed by their leader Kirori Singh Bainsla on Sunday night.
Both the sides described talks as positive but they could not arrive at any solution.
Singh told Bainsla that government is ready to give five per cent reservation to Gujjars but that is not possible right now as the government first has to submit data on the backwardness of the Gujjars to Rajasthan High Court within a year.
However, Bainsla remained adamant over the community's demand and gave a time frame of one week to the Minister for government to revert to their demand.
"I want a permanent solution to this issue. I do not want to leave things half way," said Bainsla.
He said that the Government is misleading the Gujjars on the reservation issue and announced that Gujjar agitators will not leave the railway tracks till the issue is settled in favour of Gujjars.
Gujjars stepped up their agitation following a Rajasthan High Court order which ruled members of the community could not be given special reservation in government jobs.
The agitators attempted to block more rail and road routes. They are occupying Delhi-Mumbai, Delhi-Jaipur, Jaipur-Kota and Ajmer-Indore railway lines at different places, even as thousands of passengers were stranded across the State.
The agitation, which began in 2007, has claimed over 70 lives so far.
A year ago, Gujjars in Rajasthan fought police and members of another caste that already qualified for job reservations.
After the protests, the State government said it would spend Rs 2.8 billion on improving schools, clinics, roads and other infrastructure in Gujjar areas. But Gujjars rejected this option. (ANI)