Islamabad, Dec 23 (ANI): Saud Aziz, the former City Police Officer (CPO) of Rawalpindi who was involved in security arrangements and in subsequent investigation of the assassination of former Pakistan Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto, has reportedly taken a u-turn on his statement regarding the removal of security officials before Bhutto was shot dead at a rally during an election campaign on December 27, 2007.
According to The News, in his latest statement on removal of security, Aziz said that removing ASP Ashfaque Anwar from security of Benazir left no great impact on security arrangements.Earlier he had reportedly claimed that security was removed unintentionally and added that it just happened 'by-chance'.
Earlier on Wednesday, the Judge of the Anti-Terrorist Court in Rawalpindi had rejected bail applications of the former CPO and former SP of Rawal Town Khurram Shahzad for being allegedly involved in the Benazir Bhutto assassination case, the paper said.
After the bail applications were rejected, the police arrested Aziz and Shahzad from the courtroom in Adiala Jail where the trial was being conducted.
The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) would bring both the accused on Thursday in the court for taking their physical remand. The court has adjourned further hearing of the case till January 7 next year.
The JIT submitted the complete challan of the Benazir Bhutto murder case on November 15 in which Aziz and Shahzad were accused of being responsible for security flaws.
Earlier this month, the ATC issued warrants for the arrest of both the officials for their failure in protecting Benazir Bhutto, but they got temporary bails on depositing surety bonds of Rs100, 000 each. (ANI)