iPad got its real competitor after seven months of unchallenged prominence. The Android based Samsung Galaxy tab has become a serious alternative to the 'big brother' iPad. The variety and compelling features on Galaxy Tab makes it an alternative.
Apple iPad VS Samsung Galaxy Tab
1) Screen - The iPad has a 9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology and 1024 x 768 resolution. Galaxy Tab offers a 7.0-inch WSVGA TFT screen with 1024 x 600 resolution.
2) Operating System - iPad runs on a Apple iOS 4 operating system (soon to get iOS 4.2 with multi tasking). But Samsung Galaxy Tab offers Android 2.2 Froyo OS which allows a wide variety of third-party applications.
3) Processor and RAM - Apple iPad has 1GHz Apple A4 custom-designed processor with 256MB of RAM. Here, Galaxy Tab kicked rules with 1.0GHz Application Processor with 512Mb of RAM, which is wice as much as the Apple iPad.
4) Camera - Samsung Galaxy offers dual camera. The rear camera has 3.1 megapixel resolution with LED flash. The front facing camera gives 1.3 megapixel for video calling. Apple iPad lacks camera function but, soon it may be added to the device.
5) Memory and SD card - Apple iPad is available in 16Gb, 32Gb, and 64Gb models but, galaxy Tab offers only 16Gb and 32Gb models. But, Galaxy Tab offers a 32 GB memory expansion with micro SD Cards, which will make it as 64 GB.
6) Flash support - Galaxy Tab gives Adobe Flash Palyer support, which is an important element for web surfing. iPad still doesn't have Adobe Flash Player support.
7) Battery - iPad offers battery life of up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music. but, at the same time Galaxy Tab gives 7 hours of movie play.
Both iPad and Galaxy Tab offers other high-end features like WiFi, Bluetooth, 3G support etc. Samsung Galaxy Tab is available in India at Rs 38,000. Apple iPad is not yet officially launched in India. Different iPad models are available in grey market between Rs 35,000 to 50,000.