London, Nov 6 (ANI): Militant group al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) has claimed responsibility for sending two parcel bombs on cargo planes bound for the US last week, in messages on Islamist websites.
According to the BBC, the Yemen-based group also said that it was responsible for bringing down an American cargo plane in Dubai in September, adding that it would continue to target the US and its allies.
In a message directed at US President Barack Obama, AQAP said: "We have struck three blows at your aeroplanes in a single year. And God willing, we will continue to strike our blows against American interests and the interests of America's allies."
The messages further accused the Saudi authorities of thwarting the attack and of "collaboration with the Jews".
Last week's bombs were made safe after being discovered on flights from Yemen, which landed in Dubai and the UK. The two devices sent on October 29 were intercepted after a tip-off from an al-Qaeda member who handed himself over in Saudi Arabia, UK officials said.
The packages, which contained the powerful explosive PETN concealed in printer ink cartridges, were addressed to synagogues in Chicago. Security forces in Yemen are hunting for AQAP's suspected bomb maker, Ibrahim al-Asiri, in connection with the plot, the report said. (ANI)