Washington, Oct. 29 (ANI): A Pentagon investigation has concluded that one of its officials, Michael D. Furlong, set up an "unauthorized" intelligence network to collect information in the United States and Afghanistan.
According to the New York Times, Furlong fed information to senior generals and used for strikes against militant groups, while masking the entire operation as a more benign information operations campaign.
The inquiry concluded that "further investigation is warranted of the misleading and incorrect statements the individual made" about the legality of the program, said Colonel. David Lapan, a Pentagon spokesman.
Reached by telephone, Furlong said he was a victim of kangaroo court justice, and added that nobody from the Defense Department ever interviewed him as part of the inquiry.
He said that his work had been approved by a number of senior military officers in Afghanistan, and that he had never misled anyone about what he was doing.
"They only talked to one side, and those are the people running for cover," he said.
Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates ordered the investigation after The New York Times reported on the existence of the network in March.
Michael Decker, a top aide to Gates for intelligence issues, carried out the inquiry.
The results of the Pentagon investigation are classified, and Defense Department officials gave few specifics about the accusations. (ANI)