Kandahar, Oct 17(ANI): Commander of British Forces in southern Afghanistan, Major General Nick Carter, has said that a critical air assault has been carried out in Panjwai, a wide area that has served as the main base for the Taliban threatening Kandahar.
According to the New York Times, the assault involved NATO and about 800 Afghan soldiers, and was key part of the Kandahar operation to push the Taliban out of the city and its neighboring areas.A series of checkpoints have been set up around Kandahar city in an attempt to keep insurgents from entering and carrying out attacks.
"So far, it is a work in progress," the newspaper quoted General Carter, as saying.
"There is not a huge amount of population there and there have been a few minor engagements, a few caches have been found. And I don't think we will know how successful it has been for probably another 24 to 48 hours," he added.
The operation comes on the heels of another largely successful operation by American and Afghan forces two weeks ago to clear Taliban from Argandab district.
"The success of the operation has shown itself on the main highway, which had been the scene of constant attacks by insurgents but has not had an attack in 23 days," General Carter said. (ANI)