Wellington, Oct 12 (ANI): Barely two days after the Television New Zealand controversial host Paul Henry resigned over his 'racial' comments against Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and the country's Indian-origin Governor-General Sir Anand Satyanand, a number of people interested in his job have reportedly started calling the organisation to apply for the post.
The New Zealand Herald quoted the TVNZ spokeswoman Megan Richards, as saying that till Monday, the company had received phone calls from "some very talented people" who are interested in Henry's ex-profile. Popular presenters like Rawdon Christie and Greg Boyed have reportedly been standing in as Henry's replacements.
"It's early days so we wouldn't expect any developments just yet, and in the meantime it's likely we'll continue to rotate presenters as we've done successfully in the past," she added.
Meanwhile, MediaWorks, which owns TV3 and RadioLive and is the rival of TVNZ, has refused to comment whether Henry could be a part of their organisation. TV3, however, said that the company had "not ruled out" working with Henry.
Meanwhile, TVNZ Chief executive Rick Ellis, has said: "I would hope that we are a forgiving society and that over time, time will heal and that ultimately we may see Paul back on our screens again."
On being asked whether Henry should be employed elsewhere in the media, Prime Minister John Key said it was not for him to decide.
He further said that he received Henry's apology statement that the broadcaster acknowledged he had made mistakes and would learn from those and added: "what the future holds for Paul Henry is to a certain degree a matter for Paul Henry or others who might employ him."
Henry resigned on Sunday after meeting the state broadcaster's chief executive, Rick Ellis.
Pressure had been mounting on Henry to resign since the time he insulted the Indian-origin Governor-General in the country, Sir Anand Satyanand, during an interview with Key on Breakfast earlier. (ANI)