Shanghai, Oct. 4 (ANI): North Korea is planning a major military parade and a series of war games to mark the emergence of Kim Jong-il's third son as its next leader, South Korea's defence minister has confirmed.
The Telegraph quoted Kim Tae-young, as telling the South Korean parliament that around 15,000 soldiers have been assembled at the Mirim airbase near Pyongyang to prepare for the parade.
"The large-scale parade seems to be aimed at celebrating the formation of a succession platform for Kim Jong-un," Kim said, adding that the exercise may take place before Sunday.
The North, with 1.2 million standing troops, has often celebrated major political anniversaries with elaborate displays of troops, missiles and other weapons.
He said the anointment of the 28-year-old younger Kim as North Korea's next leaders is almost complete.
The younger Kim was appointed a four-star general and given the post of vice chairman of North Korea's Central Military Commission last week.
In addition, his photograph was published in the state media for the first time ever. (ANI)