Washington, Oct 3 (ANI): Amidst growing fears that European landmarks or transport hubs could be attacked by the al-Qaeda, the U.S. is reportedly considering issuing an official statement as early as today, warning American tourists to avoid travelling to the UK and across the continent.
According to the Daily Mail, President Obama is believed to be formulating a broad warning against travel to sites across Europe without pinpointing any specific places or countries.
The report suggests that al-Qaeda are plotting the commando-style attacks like those that rocked Mumbai city two years back.
The warning could deter thousands of Americans from travelling to the UK and the continent, and have a big impact on tourism, which is already hard-hit by the global economic downturn.
Although the U.S. State Department has refused to comment directly, European officials have already been briefed, the paper said.
"We have been and continue to be focused on Al Qaeda's interest in attacking us, our allies, and U.S. interests abroad. We will spare no effort to thwart terrorist plans and will take further actions as appropriate," a U.S. State Department spokesman said.
The move follows intelligence reports of a planned attack on several European cities that emerged last week.
Meanwhile, Germany has claimed that it possesses information that Pakistan-based militants have plotted Mumbai-style attacks on London and other major cities in countries like France and Germany. (ANI)