Arunachal districts declared "disturbed areas" for six months: Chidambaram

New Delhi, Oct 1 (ANI): Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram on Friday said Tirap and Changlang Districts of Arunachal Pradesh were declared "disturbed areas" for a further period of six months with effect from today.

Presenting the monthly report card of the Home Ministry, Chidambaram said: "Tirap and Changlang Districts Pradesh were declared disturbed area under the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958.

He further said a delegation of the United Naga Council (UNC) called on me on September 14.

"Following the meeting, at my request, the economic blockade of Manipur by the UNC was lifted on September 18," he added.

He said twenty-one cases of families of victims in the bomb blasts that took place in Delhi on September 13, 2008 remained to be given financial assistance.

"When this matter was brought to my notice earlier this month, I directed that all the twenty-one cases should be processed immediately. Accordingly, all the cases have been processed," he added.

He said in fifteen cases the financial assistance has been disbursed and in the remaining six cases sanction was accorded on September 29, and the money will be disbursed shortly.

Chidambaram further described the progress of talks on the Gorkha land issue as satisfactory.

He hoped that an agreement on interim authority would be reached at the next round of tripartite talks on the demands of the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha to be held on October 11. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...