Kabul, Sept 29 (ANI): A Taliban spokesman has reportedly dismissed the commander of Nato troops in Afghanistan, General David Petreaus' claims that insurgent groups have made overtures about laying down their weapons.
According to The News, the spokesman said that Petreaus's claims are "completely baseless" and added that the insurgents would not "negotiate with foreign invaders or their puppet government".
"We want full and unconditional withdrawal of all invading forces from our country," Zabiullah Mujahid said.
Petraeus, who commands more than 150,000 Nato and US troops in Afghanistan, said on Tuesday that many small insurgent groups had already made "overtures" to Nato forces about quitting the fight.
"There have already been 20 or so overtures from small groups around the country," the paper quoted him, as saying while referring to a programme aimed at reintegrating mid-level Taliban commanders and grassroots fighters back into Afghan society. (ANI)