Mumbai, Sep. 19 (ANI): The Bombay High Court on Monday said it would proceed with confirmation of death sentence from October 11 or 18, as it could not wait further for Ajmal Kasab to file an appeal against the trial court's order sentencing him to death for his role in the 26/11 terror attack.
A Bench headed by Justice Ranjana Desai told Kasab's lawyer Farhana Shah that the 60-day period provided in law for filing an appeal had already lapsed.
The judges made it clear that they would go ahead with the confirmation of death sentence imposed on him by the lower court on a day-to-day basis from October 11 or October 18. In the meantime, Kasab can file an appeal.
"It is not necessary in law to wait for your appeal... We are not finding fault with you. It is possible that you may be facing difficulty but we cannot wait," the Bench told Kasab's lawyer today.
The judges also asked Kasab's lawyer to meet him in jail today itself and find out whether he wished to attend the hearing in the court or not. If yes, then the court would seek State's opinion on what security measures it will take and pass an order to fix a date for day-to-day hearing of the matter.
Responding to Government lawyer Ujjwal Nikam contention that the Pakistani terrorist had a threat perception and bringing him to court would be a great risk, the court suggested that Kasab could appear through the medium of video conference.
Government pleader Nikam said the state would be ready for video conference on October 11.
On May 6, Kasab was sentenced to death for killing along with other terrorists 166 people on November 26, 2008 in Mumbai. (ANI)