CWG: Kiwis may pull out over security concerns

New Zealand
Auckland, Sep 13: The Commonwealth Games 2010 may suffer another massive blow as New Zealand has now indicated its readiness to pull out if security at Delhi was not satisfactory.

While the security and operational systems for the Games would be confirmed in the coming 10 days, New Zealand team chef de mission Dave Currie is scheduled to leave for the Indan capital on Tuesday, Sep 14 to carry out a final assessment ahead of the Games.

If the inputs and feed back on security are not satisfactory, Kiwis would not hesitate to back down, said media reports.

New Zealand officials have always held that the country's atheletes were their top priority.

To ensure their safety, seven New Zealand police officers will accompany the athletes during the Games while two of the officers would be staying at the team"s village headquarters, New Zealand Olympic Committee president Mike Stanley had earlier informed.

The Kiwi officials will add to the security cover provided for the athletes by India.

Stanley and Currie rejected earlier reports that some sports organizations, such as Netball New Zealand (NNZ), Hockey New Zealand (HNZ) and the New Zealand Rugby Union (NZRU), had hired individual security assessors.

“We don"t believe any more police would mean the New Zealand team are any more secure. We either have faith in the security or we haven"t," Currie said.

This new embarrassment for Delhi Games organisers comes after Australia told its athletes that if they ever felt unsafe in Delhi, they are allowed to fly back home.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...