No Chinese army present in PoK: Pak

Pakistan flag
Islamabad, Sep 1: Pakistan rejected as a "figment of imagination" a media report that the Gilgit-Baltistan region of the country had been handed over to China and that 10,000 Chinese troops had moved into the area.

Abdul Basit, foreign Office spokesman rejected assertions made in this regard in an article written by Selig Harrison in The New York Times on Aug 26.

The writer, had claimed that troops of the People's Liberation Army have moved into the area and a geo-political crisis was unfolding in the region.

"Given Selig Harrison's well-known anti-Pakistan mindset, his gross misrepresentation of facts is hardly surprising. Nor is it unexpected of India to create unnecessary hype using Harrison's tendentious article," the spokesman said.

Parts of Gilgit-Baltistan, earlier known as the Northern Areas, have been hit hard by recent flash floods triggered by torrential monsoon rains. Over 100 people were killed by floods in the region.

President Asif Ali Zardari recently said that Pakistan had requested China to provide supplies to 25,000 people in Gilgit-Baltistan after they were cut off due to the flooding and landslides.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...