India International Centre annexe catches fire, members evacuated

New Delhi, Aug.26 (ANI): A part of the annexe of the India International Centre (IIC) caught fire on Thursday.

Fire service officials said the source of the blaze was the kitchen located on the second floor of the building.

They said that the whole building was enveloped in smoke for some time, but added that they were successful in evacuating members who were in the building at the time.

Founded in 1958 and inaugurated in 1962, the India International Centre is a premier non-official organisation in the capital, playing a unique cultural and intellectual role in the life of the citizens.

The Centre was intended, in the words of its Founder President, C.D. Deshmukh, to provide 'facilities for exemplars of various cultures to stay together a while for a not too professional or hurried exchange of ideas or thoughts, but in order that the sharpness of intellectual exchange is softened by the graciousness of good fellowship'.

The Centre's major role is to act as a catalyst as well as a promoter of intellectual and cultural activity throughout the country and provide a suitable ambience for this.

Former club president Dr Karan Singh inaugurated the India International Centre Annexe on 29 December 1996. The Annexe building is an extension of India International Centre. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...