Arrest warrant against Assange withdrawn

Subscribe to Oneindia News

WikiLeaks & Assange
Stockholm, Aug 22: The arrest warrant, against whistle blower WikiLeaks' founder, Julian Assange, had been withdrawn by the Sweden government on Saturday, Aug 21.

The warrant was issued on Friday, Aug 20 after two women accused Assange over rape charge.

"As far as I am concerned there are no longer any grounds to suspect that he committed rape," judicial affairs spokeswoman Eva Finne said.

Assange turned away all the accusations by e-mail and said he would contact police.

"We are deeply concerned about the seriousness of these allegations. We the people behind WikiLeaks think highly of Julian and and he has our full support," said WikiLeaks officials.

The website, which campaigns for freedom of information, came into limelight after it published in Jul 2010, thousands of classified documents relating to the conduct of the war in Afghanistan.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...