Identified as Subhash Kumar, a 43-year-old who lost his job at a scooter repairing shop, consumed poison along with his wife and four children at their house in Piyarwa Pokhra village, some 300 km from Lucknow.
The incident came to light when some residents of Piyarwa Pokhra village went to meet Kumar at his house and found the family members lying in an unconscious state.
According to the police inspector Deepak Dubey, "Investigations indicate that poverty drove the family to consume poison. It was Subhash who made his wife and 4 children consume the poison."
"Subhash's wife Seema, 39, and his two daughters Punni Devi, 9, Rani, 14, and son Rajesh, 12, died on the spot. Subhash and his seven-year-old daughter Mona are battling for life," he said.
subhash Kumar was finding it difficult to take care of his family for the last several weeks after losing his job.