67 people declared missing in mudslide hit Chinese province

 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Beijing, Aug 18 (ANI): At least 67 people have been declared missing and seven others reported injured after mudslides slammed a remote town in Southwest China's Yunnan Province on Wednesday morning.

The mudslides, which struck the Puladi Township, in the Drung-Nu Autonomous County of Gongshan, at about 1:30 a.m. led to a disruption in power supply and telecommunications.

"The mudslides also destroyed a bridge and made the Nujiang River swollen with the water level increasing by up to six meters, said a statement released by the Yunann Provincial Emergency Response Office Wednesday," Xinhua reports.

"Rescuers had been sent to the area high up in the mountains bordering Myanmar. The mudslides were triggered by days of torrential rains," said a spokesman with the Government of Lisu Autonomous Prefecture of Nujiang.

"The mudslides struck the Litoudi Village, about 10 km away from Puladi Township seat. But the number of casualties is unknown at the moment," said armed police troops sources participating in the rescue operation.

Earlier on July 26, at least eleven people were killed at the construction site of a hydropower station in Puladi Township. (ANI)

Write a Comment

Videos

Protesters demand more security in Kenya after bus attack

Protesters demand more security in Kenya after bus attack