Karachi, Aug 4 (ANI): The death toll in Karachi has increased to 58 with at least 20 more people being killed, even as a complete shutter-down strike is being observed following the assassination of MQM leader Raza Haider.
All markets, shopping plazas, government offices, petrol and CNG stations and educational institutions remained closed on Tuesday following the three-day mourning period announced by the MQM, as police and paramilitary troops patrolled the deserted streets.
Several shops, carts, vehicles and markets were torched and people injured in various incidents of violence, The Daily Times reports.
Officials described the dead as rickshaw drivers, cab drivers, labourers and passers-by who were shot dead in some of the city's most destitute neighbourhoods.
Despite tall claims by the government and deployment of thousands of police and Rangers personnel in sensitive areas, people preferred to stay at home.
Sindh Government spokesman Jameel Soomro said orders had been given to forces to "shoot on sight miscreants involved in creating a law and order problem".
"The police have arrested 20 suspects belonging to the banned Sipah-e-Sahaba and the Lashkar-e-Jhangvi (LeJ) outfits and charged them for the killing of MP Raza Haider," Soomro said.
"Investigators are also inquiring whether the same outfits' militants were involved in the violent deaths which started after Haider's assassination," he said. (ANI)