In a statement, the ministry said that the Secretary General's office had clarified that Mr Ban had not made remarks on the violence in Kashmir.
On Jul 29, Mr Ban"s spokesperson, Farhan Haq released a statement that the Secretary General had expressed concern over the unrest in Kashmir and that the Indo-Pak dialogue should continue.
“In relation to recent developments in Indian-administered Kashmir, the Secretary-General is concerned over the prevailing security situation there over the past month," Haq's statement said.
“He (Ban Ki-moon) encourages both sides to rekindle the spirit of the composite dialogue, which was initiated in 2004 and had made encouraging progress on some important confidence building measures, and to make renewed efforts to address outstanding issues, including on Jammu and Kashmir." it added.
Thgis statement was e-mailed to the media in New York by Pakistani-born Haq.
In the wake of the statement by the Indian external affairs minister, Haq was questioned if if what he had circulated to journalists reflected Ban's views, to which he reportedly replied in an e-mail message, "Yes, what I sent last week in response to questions reflects the Secretary-General's views."
To a question if Indian government had protested to the UN, he said "As for what the Indian Government has done, please ask them."