Contaminated water claims five lives in Ahmedabad District

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Ahmedabad, July 19 (ANI): Five persons have died and several others hospitalised after consuming water from a well at Ghoda village in Ahmedabad district on Sunday.

Reportedly, people developed symptoms of vomiting and diarrhoea after drinking water.

"Around 2,500 people are staying here and cases of diarrhoea and vomiting have been reported due to consumption of contaminated water. All medical services have been made available here. Doctors are available on duty round the clock and both indoor and OPD (out patient department) facilities have been arranged," said Nalin Patel, Rural Health Officer, Ahmedabad District.

Health officials are also visiting the homes of villagers to spread awareness about the dangers of drinking contaminated water.

"The paramedical staff is visiting every house in the village and carrying out surveillance so that if anyone complains of diarrhoea or vomiting then they are being brought to the doctor and are being treated. We are also conducting meetings in the village and are asking people not to consume the water from the well but drink water from the tankers being made available here," added Patel.

The Health Department has sought the services of additional doctors and also allied facilities.

Meanwhile, samples of water from the well have been taken and sent for tests to know the exact reason for outbreak of the disease.

According to local media reports 13 people are in critical condition while over 40 have fallen ill after consuming the water. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...