Islamabad, July 12(ANI): After Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari's statement that the accused in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks on trial in Pakistan would "hopefully" be brought to justice, an editorial in a leading newspaper has said that government's actions have not been "very encouraging".
"So far the track record of bringing these culprits to book has not been very encouraging. Whether the fault lies with the prosecution or the courts can be debated, but one thing the courts have not used yet is their discretionary power of not granting bail to the accused," The Daily Times said in its editorial.
It also said that individuals, who pose a threat to the society at large and diplomatic ties in particular should not be allowed to roam freely even if charges against them have not been proved.
"The reason for letting the accused in the 26/11 attack go free or out on bail could be because our establishment is dragging its feet on this issue," the editorial said.
"The role of the 'non-state actors' in 26/11 derailed the Indo-Pak peace process for quite some time and this affected both countries," it added.t also highlighted that terrorism poses a common threat to not only to India and Pakistan, but to the whole South Asian region, and urged the Pakistan government to join hands in fighting the menace.
The 26/11 Mumbai attacks were more than ten coordinated shooting and bombing attacks across Mumbai by terrorists from Pakistan.
The attacks, which drew widespread condemnation across the world, began on November 26, 2008 and lasted until November 29, killing at least 173 people and wounding at least 308.
Ajmal Kasab, the only attacker who was captured alive, disclosed that the attackers were members of Lashkar-e-Taiba, the Pakistan-based militant organization, considered a terrorist organization by India, the United States, the United Kingdom, the United Nations, among others. (ANI)