Sydney, July 10 (ANI): Aussie food-lovers can now look forward to horse meat cuisines in restaurants' menus, thanks to the man known around Perth as the Prince of Flesh.
Vince Garreffa, the owner of wholesale meat supplier Mondo Di Carne, is soon going to begin selling fresh horse meat aimed at ethnic groups, who consider the product a tasty treat.
The news comes after Terry Redman, the Western Australia Minister for Agriculture and Food, approved the slaughter of horses for human consumption late last month.
"It has never been sold before for domestic consumption in Australia," The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Garreffa, as saying.
He added: "We feel it's not going to be big business, it's not a money making venture, it's all about supplying the ethnic community with something they grew up with."
Gourmet Traveller mag's features editor Pat Nourse said: "I am an Australian diner and I have eaten horse.
"It's probably not going to be an instant hit ... but restaurants are all about trying something new."
However, the approval for human consumption of horse meat has come under fire from some sectors.
A petition to stop the sale of horse meat in WA has 1876 signatures so far.
The petition says: "Horses have served humans for centuries and this is the way we treat them for their loyalty.
"This decision needs to be overturned immediately as we do not agree with the way these horses are slaughtered and definitely do not agree with horses being served on dinner plates." (ANI)