UK may shell out millions to Gitmo suspects to settle torture claims

Subscribe to Oneindia News

London, July 7 (ANI): Terror suspects who had claimed that British security services were complicit in their torture, are in line to get millions in compensation even if a court refutes their allegations.

According to the Sun, British Prime Minister David Cameron has said he wanted a swift end to civil cases against the Government by former inmates of America's Guantanamo Bay camp in Cuba.

"They are suing our spies for up to 500,000 pounds each over claims MI5 and MI6 colluded in their torture at the US detention camp, and they are said to have 'paralysed' the security services with legal paperwork," the Sun quoted Cameroon as saying.

The British Prime Minister also said the men would receive compensation payouts "wherever appropriate".

The decision, however, has been criticized by many in the country.

"It's wrong the Government has been forced to take this action," the paper quoted Ex-Tory shadow security minister and MP Patrick Mercer, as saying.

Number 10 officials have said that they had been left with little choice but to settle with the men, once feared to have been some of the most dangerous terrorists in the world. To defend the claims would have cost the taxpayer tens of millions of pounds, as the cases would have been covered by legal aid.

"It would also have threatened the release of more secrets, which has already left our relationship with the US strained," the PM added.

Earlier, Cameroon had ordered a 'judge-led' inquiry into claims that UK security services were complicit in the torture of terror suspects. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...