New York, July 1 (ANI): The controversy over condoms being given to elementary school students has been put to rest, with the Cape Cod school district Superintendent saying they will not be distributed to 6-year-olds.
School Superintendent Beth Singer also apologized to Provincetown locals and parents on June 29 for the "misunderstanding" that elementary school students would be given free condoms.
According to the Cape Cod Times, the apology came after the Massachusetts school district's condom policy caused a national controversy last week.
The policy had read, "Condoms will be available, upon request, to Provincetown students", and there was no specification of the age or grade level, according to school records.
The vague language immediately attracted a storm of attention from conservative groups and media outlets, which interpreted the policy to mean that even elementary school students could be given free condoms at school without the knowledge of their parents.
Singer said it was necessary to change the wording because it was "so badly understood and misrepresented by the media" and that students in elementary schools will not be able to obtain a condom if they request one.
"It is especially troublesome to me and to our school community that this is likely to have been your introduction to the policy," the New York Daily News quoted Singer as writing in her apology.
"It is the well-being of our students that motivates all of our decisions and efforts. ...This policy is no exception," she stated.
Members of the policy committee said the language was intentionally left vague because they didn't want to pin down the age at which students become sexually active.
The four members voted unanimously to leave the wording open, without specifying a minimum age for students to ask for and receive condoms. (ANI)