As many as 35 people fell sick after chlorine gas leaked from a cylinder of water supply department in Berhampur. School children, women and employees of the drinking water supply department were among those affected.
The victims have been admitted to MKCG Medical College Hospital.
After the gas leak, leaves of the trees around the place reportedly turned yellow and the locals experienced respiratory problems.
According to the executive engineer of urban water supply (Berhampur) D S Mohapatra, a water purifying cylinder, brought in from Paralakhemundi division, leaked when someone tried to remove the brass nozzle.