Beijing, Jun 21: The death toll of China mine blast which occured in a mine in Pingdingshan city in Henan Province, has reached 46. The blast trapped atleast 58 miners, said the State Administration of Work Safety.
The blast occured at 1:40 am (local time) on Monday, June 21. The statement from State Administration of Work Safety said that the mine recently expanded capacity by 50 percent to 90,000 metric tons annually.
Seventy two miners had been working at the time of the blast. 26 of them were brought to safety and 46 were confirmed dead. The blast occured when a store of gunpowder kept underground at the Xingdong No 2 Mine detonated.
Two rescue teams worked in the shaft after the blast.