New Delhi, June 18 (ANI): India on Friday said that it handed over a set of responses to the six dossiers received from Pakistan in connection with the terror attack on Mumbai on November 26, 2008.
In response to a question, the Indian Government's official spokesperson said that the responses had been handed over to Pakistan's Deputy High Commissioner Riffat Masood this afternoon.
It maybe recalled that through the six dossiers, Pakistan had sought the extradition from India of Ajmal Amir Kasab, the suspected lone surviving gunman from the 2008 Mumbai attacks and Fahim Ansari, an Indian accused of conducting reconnaissance of Mumbai landmarks before the attack to further its own investigation into the case.
The Pakistan Foreign Office had handed over these dossiers to Indian Deputy High Commissioner Rahul Kulshreshth.
India blames the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Toiba for the Mumbai attacks and has broken off composite dialogue talks with Pakistan, saying Islamabad must first act against militants operating from its soil, including the Lashkar before a peace process can resume.
Pakistan has maintained that access to statements of the accused, especially Kasab's, would be helpful.
Kasab is accused of being one of 10 gunmen who attacked Mumbai in November 2008 in a three-day rampage.
An Indian court concluded his trial in March and announced its verdict on May 3. Kasab was sentenced to death for waging war against India.
India has been pressing Pakistan to prosecute Lashkar founder Hafiz Mohammad Saeed but Islamabad says New Delhi has not provided enough evidence against him. Pakistani courts have since acquitted Saeed. (ANI)