London, June 17 (ANI): A study has found that pet dogs can cost a huge amount of money, like the whippet, which is the most expensive breed of dog, costing its owner a staggering 66,000 pounds in its lifetime.
At second place is the Bassett Hound, which costs owners 4,380 pounds a year for its care.
"Today's household pets are treated more like members of the family and this new attitude is reflected in the amount owners spend on their pet's lifestyle," the Sun quoted Nikki Sellers, Head of Pet Insurance at esure, who carried out the research, as saying.
The top ten breeds that cost the most money in a lifetime are:
1. Whippet - 66,236.17 pounds
2. Bassett Hound - 56,064.13 pounds
3. Beagle - 34,822.33 pounds
4. Chihuahua - 30,819.88 pounds
5. Dalmatian - 29,425.50 pounds
6. Dachshund - 28,357.56 pounds
7. Poodle - 24,952.62 pounds
8. Pug - 24,420.00 pounds
9. Doberman Pinscher - 22,009.62 pounds
10. Jack Russell - 20,640.45 pounds (ANI)