Sydney, Jun 12 (ANI): Skipper Ricky Ponting has said that players will need to be convinced about Cricket Australia's attempt to change the 50-over ODI format by introducing a new 40-over competition.
Cricket Australia had proposed a new 40-over competition, in which teams would bat for two innings of 20 overs each.
Cricket Australia's experimentation with the limited overs format in 2010-11 would be worthwhile so long as the players understood what was being done to change the game, said Ponting.
CA will speak with players, sponsors, and broadcasters about what shape the change in format will take, though chief executive James Sutherland has said the splitting of matches into four 20-over innings is the crux of the experiment.
"Everyone in Australia noticed last year that the 50-over game probably struggled a little bit in Australia with the popularity of 20-over cricket around the world, so I'm open to looking at ways to improve it," The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Ponting, as saying.
"Where we're at the moment is at a stage where there'll be some consultation with the players, which I think is pretty important in the next step of taking that forward," he said.
"The most important thing with it is all the players need to be on board as well and understand where they're going and what they're to achieve. The players haven't been consulted all the way through this one, that process is about to start now, where the players will be made aware of what CA are thinking with this new proposal," he added.
Expressed his liking for the 50-over format, Ponting said the game itself had improved tremendously in recent times, only to be overshadowed by the onset of Twenty20.
"I've really enjoyed the 50-over game to tell you the truth over the last couple of years, I know the 20-over game has been very popular all around the world, but the 50-over game for me hasn't dropped off," he said. (ANI)