London, June 3 (ANI): Barcelona's renewed attempt at signing Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas is likely to raise the hackles of the Gunners.
Barcelona had previously offered 29 million pounds for Fabregas, a bid which was rejected outright and led Arsenal to issue a sharply worded rebuke.
Barcelona's persistence is due to their desire to seal the deal before anticipated FIFA World Cup (WC).
Arsenal had earlier asked Barcelona to desist from such moves in a statement that said they had "immediately and resolutely" rejected the approach for their captain, and that they expect Barcelona to respect their stance, The Times reports.
"Cesc F'bregas is under contract with the club until the summer of 2015," the Arsenal statement read. "He is a highly valued member of the team and part of our future plans.
"We have followed recent speculation linking Cesc with a move away from the club but as there has never been any official approach for him - only two informal exchanges, in which we made it abundantly clear that we have no interest in transferring Cesc - we have refrained from publicly passing comment" it said.
Barcelona's dogged pursuit of Fabregas has caused considerable unrest in Arsenal's ranks. Earlier Fabregas's father had said that the Catalan club had asked his son "not to listen to anyone else that is not Barga".
F'bregas informed Arshne Wenger, the Arsenal manager, of his intention to return to Barcelona in a conversation at the training ground on May 18, but has not formally requested a transfer.
Arsenal's position may be weakened if he does so, but the club believes that F'bregas is respectful of their stance and that, even if a return to Spain may prove inevitable in the long term, they are under no obligation to sell this summer.
Arsenal's statement notwithstanding, Barcelona is in no mood to let go just yet. Rafael Yuste, their vice-president, said: "We'll do nothing that might make it more difficult for him to come here and we won't rush things. But we won't stop, either." (ANI)