Lahore, May 28 (ANI): Over 1500 hostages were freed as the terror siege of the two mosques which were raided by a dozen of heavily armed Taliban suicide attackers ended after nearly three hours of heavy gun battle between the security forces and the militants.
At least 45 people were reportedly killed and several others injured in the terror attack.
Armed gunmen opened fire shortly after Friday prayers and threw grenades at two Ahmadi mosques in Lahore's Model Town and Garhi Shahu areas.
At least 30 bodies have been shifted to different hospitals across the city, officials said.
In Model Town, police said one gunman had been arrested and another killed.
Sajjad Bhutta, Lahore's Deputy Commissioner said a suicide vest packed with explosives was recovered from the worship place in Model Town, where some attackers escaped.
The brazen attack took place when a large number of people had gathered to offer special Friday prayers at both mosques.
There were reports of several blasts followed by gunshots near the two mosques.
Security forces then launched a massive operation to free the hostages. Media reports said that at least one attacker has been caught alive during the commando operation launched by Pakistani security forces.
Meanwhile, President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani have ordered an inquiry into the ghastly terror attack.ardari condemned the incident, saying the terrorists have no religion, and that none of the religions permit killing innocent people. (ANI)