Georgia woman loses breast to spider bite

Subscribe to Oneindia News

New York, May 26 (ANI): A woman survived a poisonous spider bite but lost a breast.

Victoria Franklin, a resident of Georgia, said that she is happy to have lost a breast instead of a limb.

She does not have any memory of the incident that cost her a breast.

Victoria is a 51-year-old grandmother. Her right breast has become gangrenous.

According to ABC News, she was on a respirator in coma for two weeks after the surgery. Doctors said that Victoria was stung by a brown recluse spider. The spider may bite when a person rolls over onto it in bed.

Her breast was swollen to the size of loaf bread till the time her twin sister took her to an Atlanta hospital on April 9.

Victoria's condition is called necrotic arachnidism. It can cause the bite to become black and necrotic in just one to two days, reports The New York Daily News.

"I'm glad it took my breast. If I had to lose an arm or leg I'd have been torn up. They can do reconstruction on my breast," Victoria told ABC News. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...