London, May 10 (ANI): It has emerged that a hospital patient woke up requiring more surgery than he bargained for after a giant lamp fell on him as he underwent surgery.
The patient was sedated at the time of the incident, but the surgery had to be halted as the surgeon performing the op also suffered concussion and had to receive treatment himself.
When the patient came round he found he needed even more treatment for a split lip and facial injuries.
Health chiefs have launched an urgent probe into why the 30lb lamp broke free as it was moved during the op, and all other lamps at Glan Clwyd Hospital in North Wales and neighbouring hospitals have been checked for similar faults.
"We are very sorry that this incident occurred and that one of our patients suffered an injury as a result," the Sun quoted a spokesman as saying.
"The surgeon has since contacted the patient at home to explain what occurred and offered our sincere apologies.
"Investigations revealed that a screw had worked loose on the swivel bracket that holds the lamp," he added.
The patient had the operation a week later. (ANI)