Kasab was sentenced on the basis of oral, technical evidences: Chidambaram

Subscribe to Oneindia News

New Delhi, May 6 (ANI): Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram on Thursday said that Mohammad Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving Pakistani gunman of the 2008 Mumbai attacks, was found guilty and sentenced on the basis of oral and technical evidences instead of his confession.

Speaking in the Rajya Sabha, the upper House of the Parliament of India, the Mr. Chidambaram said: "Kasab was convicted not on the basis of his confession. Kasab was convicted on the basis of evidence that we produced and the evidence that was produced was not only oral but enormous technical evidence."

Chidambarm also informed that the State would appeal against the acquittal of two other accused persons.

"Other two accused (Fahim Ansari and Sabauddin) have acquitted after court gave them benefit of doubt. The prosecution has already indicated that it will appeal against the acquittal of the two accused," added Chidambaram.

Earlier in the day, a special designated court in Mumbai sentenced Kasab (22) to death for his role in the three-day rampage through Mumbai in 2008 that killed 166 people and strained ties between the nuclear-armed South Asian neighbours.

The court acquitted two Indian nationals, Fahim Ansari and Sabauddin accused of being LeT members and of conducting reconnaissance in Mumbai. India has charged 38 people in onnection with the attacks, most of them living in Pakistan.

Meanwhile, Union Home Secretary Gopal Krishna Pillai, expressed satisfaction at the sentence as well as the period of trial.

"This was real punishment that needed to be given for what heinous crimes he had committed. The Minister of Home Affairs, in one sense, is satisfied that trial was over as quickly as it could have been done and sentencing is just," said Gopal Krishna Pillai.(ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...