Maoists trigger blast killing two in Chhattisgarh

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Bijapur (Chhattisgarh), Mar 19 (ANI): Two CRPF personnel were killed and three others injured when Naxals triggered a blast in Chhattisgarh's Bijapur district on Thursday.

The incident took place when the personnel were out on a routine patrol.

The injured were taken to a nearby hospital for treatment.

The rebels carried out more than 1,000 attacks last year in the countryside and some bigger rural towns, killing more than 600 people and disrupting movement of coal and bauxite in mineral-rich eastern and central India.

The rebels feed on the resentment of millions of poor people who have not shared the benefits of the boom in India's economy, which, after the global slowdown, looks set to climb back to over eight percent growth in the next fiscal year beginning April.

Union Home Minister P Chidambaram had on February 12 defended the use of force against Maoists, saying it was a legitimate right of the Government to established law and order, build infrastructure and set up welfare measures.

He expressed confidence that the Centre would be able to get rid of the Maoist menace over the next four years; thereby assuring that once the areas are cleared from Maoist elements development work could be pursued expeditiously.

Referring to the reported offer of talks made by the Maoists through media recently, Chidambaram said, "Why aren't the Maoists making a simple statement that we abjure violence?"

Maoist rebels apparently waiting a respite from security force operation against them on February 22 had offered a conditional 72-day ceasefire through media, and said that they are willing to talk to the government if it aborts Operation Green Hunt. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...