Pune terror attack is a blot on India's record: Chidambaram

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Bangalore, Mar 16 (ANI): Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram on Tuesday said that last month's Pune terror attack is a "blot" on the country's record, and it could have been prevented as there was enough intelligence alerts.

The bomb, which killed 11 people and wounded at least 57, is seen as the first major attack on India since the 2008 Mumbai massacre, and appeared to target Indian and foreign tourists.

"Despite intelligence sharing, it (Pune terror attack) occurred, it is a blot on our record," Chidambaram said.

Chidambaram said crucial information about terror activities was provided to Maharashtra Government on October 9, 2009.

He also stressed that the Pune Police was given written advisory on intelligence over several potential targets in the city including the German Bakery.

The Home Minister further highlighted that the bakery's manager was advised over a threat, but said: "Unfortunately, German Bakery did not heed this advice."

The blast was reportedly triggered as part of what is called the 'Karachi Project' planned by the Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT).

The details of the alleged Karachi Project were revealed by the arrested suspected Lashkar operative David Coleman Headley to the USA's Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

Headley had recced areas in Pune near the blast site.

He had reportedly also recced other cities including Mumbai, Delhi, Pushkar and Goa, staying close to Jewish prayer centres in these cities. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...