Melbourne, Mar 5(ANI): Victoria Police has revealed that at least two adults were in the Lalor house when three-year-old Indian boy Gurshan Singh Kaurchanna disappeared on Thursday.
Earlier, it was reported that Gurshan, whose body was found dumped by the side of a road in Melbourne's northern suburbs six hours after he disappeared, had wandered out of a house while his mother was taking a shower and his father was at the nearby library.
Victoria Police Detective Inspector Steve Clark, who is leading the investigation, said there were "a couple" of people in the house when the boy was last seen, but declined to give details of the other occupants or whether police had identified any suspects in the case.
Clark said statements had been taken from "a number of people" who were living at the rental house, including the boy's parents.
He further said that the authorities would let the victim's family see the body for formal identification.
Meanwhile, with the case likely to prompt another round of hostile commentary from India, Victoria Police Deputy Commissioner Ken Jones warned it was potentially harmful to the investigation to speculate on how or why Gurshan had died.
"The message to all communities is the Victoria police, we stand ready to take on these sorts of investigations. Any missing child, any suspicious death of a child, we will investigate to the absolute of our potential," The Australian quoted Jones, as saying.
"Beyond that I would say to the Indian community and to India, they can take my assurances on that that anything and everything that can be done will be done."
"The best way forward is for us to keep to the facts, not to speculate, and to try to assist the investigators as best we possibly can. And to have some respect for the bereaved family and for their friends. Because at the end of the day these people are in the middle of this maelstrom and we need to have some sensitivity towards that," he added. (ANI)