Washington, Mar 5: US Special Envoy for Afghanistan and Pakistan Richard C Holbrooke has apologised for his comments suggesting Indians were not targeted in the deadly attack in Kabul.
Speaking to reporters, Holbrooke said, "I regret any misunderstanding caused by my comments on the recent terrorist attack in Kabul, which claimed the lives of Indians and at least ten citizens of other nations."
"I did not say Indians were not targeted, but that initially it looked like the target was not an official Indian facility," he said.
He further said, "Early reports on events like this are often unreliable, and I try not to jump to conclusions."
"We all know that Indian citizens have and continue to be targeted by terrorists, including inside Afghanistan," Holbrooke said adding, "My heart goes out to the families of all of the victims."
On Tuesday, Mar 3, Holbrooke had said, "First of all, in regard to this attack, I don't accept the fact that this was an attack on an Indian facility like the embassy."
"There were foreigners, non-Indian foreigners hurt. It was a soft target. And let's not jump to conclusions," he told reporters when asked how Indians in Afghanistan could feel safe in the wake of last week's attack.