Center issued intelligence alerts well before Pune blast: Chidambaram

Subscribe to Oneindia News

New Delhi, March 2 (ANI): Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram on Tuesday said that the Centre had sent alert to the Maharashta Government prior to the blast at the popular German Bakery in Pune, which left 17 persons dead and 355 injured.

Presenting his monthly report card for February, Chidambaram said: "A peaceful 14-month period was rudely interrupted by a bomb blast in Pune on February 13, 2010 that resulted in 17 deaths and injuries to 55 persons. Intelligence alerts had been issued on September 19, October 10, December 7 and December 12, 2009."

"The police had made security arrangements in the Koregaon park area and, especially, for the Osho Ashram and the Chabad House. On October 9, 2009, the Pune police had issued a written advisory to all establishments in that area, including the German bakery, for enhancing security. This was reissued on December 25, 2009. Despite these measures, a bomb was successfully exploded in the German bakery. The case is being investigated by the ATS(Anti-Terrorism Squad), Maharashtra," said Chidambaram.

Chidambaram recalled how he had warned against complacency during a lecture last December, saying: "However, there is the danger of a terror-free year inducing complacency, signs of which can be seen everywhere. A strange passivity seems to have descended upon the people." I would like to once again caution against complacency and advise greater vigilance. Shops, establishments, businesses, schools, colleges, hospitals etc. and, above all, the people must be ever vigilant and take measures that will complement the measures taken by the police to provide security. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...