London, Feb 26 (ANI): England boss Fabio Capello has urged left-back Wayne Bridge to reconsider his decision of quitting the team ahead of the 2010 World Cup.
Bridge on Thursday declared that he did not wish to be selected for England in the wake of John Terry's affair with his ex-lover, and said his presence in the squad would be untenable and divisive.
Capello insisted the door was still open for Bridge. The Italian was stunned by Bridge's shock decision, which left his World Cup preparations in tatters.
Capello was dependant on Bridge after first-choice left-back Ashley Cole was seriously injured.
"It surprised me but I respect the decision of all the players. The door for him is always open. We have time, there is still three months until I will decide my final squad for South Africa," The Sun quoted him, as saying.
"I hope that Wayne Bridge will be with us at the World Cup but I respect his decision," Ferguson said.
England is facing a mounting injury crisis with serious question marks also hanging over Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Aaron Lennon and Cole.
A FA source admitted that Bridge's decision to quit came as a complete shock to Fabio, as he had already pencilled the Manchester City ace to play against Egypt next week.
"Now with just a few months until the World Cup England are without first and second-choice left-backs. Obviously Ashley Cole's injury is unfortunate but Bridge never indicated he was going to do this. Capello is very unhappy," the source said.
After an emotional call to Capello's assistant, Franco Baldini, Bridge announced his international exile. (ANI)